Re: Convert deprecated POSIX functions into wrappers for equivalent PCRE functions

"David Otton" <phpmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> 2009/11/9 Tony Marston <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> So you wouldn't trust the PHP developers to write simple code which takes
>> each POSIX function and redirects it to a PCRE function? I have more
>> faith
>> in their ability than I do yours.
>
> If it's as simple as you claim, why don't you mock-up your solution in
> PHP, rather than C?

Because I can't do that until I install PHP 6, but as I never play with beta
software waiting for it to go live will be too late.

> You'll get taken more seriously if you have
> working code that someone can write unit tests against.
>
> If your solution doesn't get any traction with the core team, you'll
> still be able to offer it to the community as a simple download, just
> "include this at the top of your script to fix "ereg*() not found"
> problems". That would be really useful to all those people whose cause
> you are championing.
>
> (BTW, the reference implementation for PHP is... PHP. There isn't an
> ISO standard or anything here. How PHP6 behaves is correct, because
> it's PHP6).
>
> (BTW^2 - you're on the wrong list for this. If you want to influence
> the guys who make the decisions you need to take this to
> php-internals, where the heavyweights hang out).

I have tried subscribing to the internals list, but none of my postings ever
appears. I've tried looking at the PHP wiki, but I cannot see any method of
creating an RFC.

I have, however, created a request in php_compat in the PEAR system at
http://pear.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=16769

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net