Re: Convert deprecated POSIX functions into wrappers for equivalent PCRE functions

"It is for the better"? How can you justify that? It is a problem that will
cause a lot of headaches for a lot of users, yet the solution which I have
proposed will remove that problem with only very little effort, yet still
leave only one regex engine which has to be supported in PHP 6.

You have to balance out the small bit of effort required in implementing
this solution against the huge amount of effort required in changing
thousands, if not millions of scripts.

For the PHP developers to say "we can't be bothered to update the POSIX
functions to deal with unicode, so we've decided to drop them from PHP
entirely even though it will break lots of scripts" will not go down well in
userland.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net