Re: Re: How to take output from an include, and embed it into a variable?

Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 07:36 -0700, Jim Lucas wrote:
>> Mert Oztekin wrote:
>>> Output buffering will do it.
>>>
>>> Also I am not sure but did you try retrieving content with fopen() ?
>>>
>>> Something like
>>>
>>> $file = 'invoicetable_bottom.php';
>>> fopen("http://yoursite.com/folder/$file","r";);
>>>
>>> http://tr.php.net/function.fopen
>>>
>>> worth trying. Easier than output buffering
>>>
>> This would not work.  fopen would open the file for read.  What you would be
>> reading is the actual source of the document.  Not the data the script would
>> output when ran.
>>
>> The ob_* functions are the only way that I know of to do what you are asking

Sorry, my bad.  Ash is correct, the method that is suggested will work.  But you
will need to enable options in your php.ini that are not on by default for
security reasons, plus as Ben points out, you will need to filter out the scruff
that is generated to capture just the data output from your include.

Mind you that all of this also requires that the file that you are including is
accessible via the web.  It could be in a folder that is not web accessible.

Sorry for the initial confusion!