Re: Date Comparison

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 10:20:49AM +0100, Stuart wrote:

> 2009/9/3 J DeBord <jasdebord@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > Telling someone RTFM is just rude and mean. Manipulating dates and times can
> > be confusing for beginners and experienced people alike. I would suggest
> > that when a question asked here causes you to respond with RTFM, don't
> > respond at all. Save yourself the time and trouble and save the person
> > asking the question the grief of being insulted. And Tedd your condescending
> > response caused me to lose respect for you. I'm sure the OP would have been
> > more than thankful to receive the same response without the RTFM. I'll read
> > any response to this, but I won't have anything more to say. This list has
> > been polluted enough lately with nonsense. Incredible.
>
> You're entitled to your opinion as much as I am, and my opinion is
> that not making it clear to people that the answer to their question
> is plainly obvious in the manual is just as rude if not more so than
> suggesting they RTFM.
>
> I make a point to never just say RTFM but to also answer the question
> at the same time, but IMHO not telling people how fundamental their
> question was does not help them in the long run. At the end of the day
> it just encourages them to continue to rely on this list rather than
> learning how to find the answer themselves and to only use this list
> as a last resort.
>
> I make no apology for my attitude towards this type of question, and
> if you don't like it you can stick it where the sun don't shine.

+1

I can't argue with this approach. If you're going to point the poster to
the manual and *then* explain, that's the ideal way to do this. Now it
could be argued that you could say, "Please refer to
http://php.net/manual/en/whatever.php for more info." Or you could say,
"RTFM". The former is more polite, but the latter will suffice. Both
mean the same thing; one is simply more terse.

Also stipulated that one should research a question as much as possible
before posting to this list. We're not tutors; more like professional
side-checkers.

(Please don't take this the wrong way, newbies. You're welcome to ask
questions here. Just do whatever research you can first, and follow our
advice afterward, to RTFM.)

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster