Re: IRC and English

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 11:16 -0300, Martin Scotta wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 9:44 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > At 9:06 PM -0400 8/31/09, Paul M Foster wrote:
> >
> >> I'm sorry, but is anyone else annoyed by people who attempt to use IRC
> >> jargon on mailing lists? For example, substituting "u" for "you". Oddly
> >> enough, I'm seeing this primarily in foreign language posters, not in
> >> native English speakers. It's often accompanied by English so broken I
> >> don't even bother trying to decypher it, and sometimes an *attitude*
> >> (after which, I blacklist the poster).
> >>
> >> Am I the only one? It's okay if I am. Just wondering.
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>

> > Paul:
> >
> > u r not the only 1. I h8 that 2!
> >
> > l8er  :)
> >
> > tedd
> >
> > --
> > -------
> > http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com
> >

> > --
> >

> Yo estoy de acuerdo en que respetar el idioma es importante, aunque claro,
> redactando sobre la computadora tiene ciertos "beneficios". Yo, por ejemplo,
> evito utilizar acentos.
>
> Entiendo que pueda molestarles el hecho de las comunes abreviaturas. Eso es
> lo malo del lenguaje. Es de todos y, al mismo tiempo, de nadie. Nadie puede
> cambiarlo individualmente, sólo se puede mutar a través de su uso por parte
> la población, éste va cambiando día a día.
>
> Lamentablemente, a mi modo de ver, los mas jóvenes son quienes incurren en
> este tipo de acciones, y no se reduce solamente al ingles, creo que este
> fenómeno se da tambien en otros lenguajes (supongo) impulsado por la
> deficiencia de los métodos de ingreso de texto de dispositivos moviles.
>
> ¿Por que utilizo el español? Después de todo hay una lista para ello.
> El mundo en internet esté en ingles y yo, como hispano-hablante debi pasar
> por un proceso de varios años para poder lograr entender, hablar y luego
> redactar en ingles. ¿pasaron ustedes por el mismo proceso para participar en
> esta lista?
>
> Aqui somos muchos, de diferentes paises y culturas, lo importante -a mi modo
> de ver- es la comunicación, no el medio o la forma. Con lo cual esta
> recriminación carece totalmente de sentido.
>
> Es realmente triste que en una lista de un lenguaje de "codigo abierto" que
> pregona la libre participación y el mutuo beneficio a través de "compartir
> conocimiento" se realize semejante acotación; aunque mucho mas triste es que
> una persona oficialmente perteneciente a dicha comunidad se sume a dicho
> reclamo.
>
> Please do not reply that It's a English based list.
> Or is it allowed  to discriminate here?
>
> As a non-english speaker I feel very uncomfortable with this thread.
>
> With the best intentions for the community, sincerely yours,
>
> Martin Scotta
> Spanish Speaker

I disagree (and I did translate and read your Spanish message). This
mailing list is English (I'm not sure if similar ones exist for
Spanish-speaking people) so I wouldn't say that the people on the list
can be accused of behaving the same way as these 'txt'ers. While Spanish
is a very popular language, English is by far the most popular language
of the world, being spoken as a main language (not necessarily the
mother tongue though) in more countries than any other. It's also the
most popular second language for those that don't speak it as a main
language.

I think the main point of this thread was to point out the issue of
those who use 'txt spk' for normal conversations. It makes a bit of
sense to do this for phone text messages, and is only natural that it
came to be (character limits on a message, easier to type on a phone,
etc) but there should be no excuse for posters on this list. It takes
barely any more time to type 'you' instead of 'u', but trying to read a
message full of stuff like that, I get a migrane and feel disinclined to
help out purely because it takes too much effort to understand!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk