Re: I'm not crazy I swear it... IE vs Safari and Firefox - The impossible!

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:55:38AM -0400, Matt Neimeyer wrote:

> > If it were prefetching, or another request clobbering your current request
> > then you would see a second hit in your server logs.
>
> I will admit... I have made (at least) one assumption... Since...
>
> 1. This is a difference between IE and Firefox/Safari...
> 2. I was seeing a tracer email for each hit to the Initialize function...
>
> I have been assuming that it is the browser that has been the cause.
> I'm 90% certain that last year we DID check and we DID see multiple
> web hits... That said I will make an explicit check and see if there
> are multiple hits in the web server logs now for the Safari as well.

I do something like what you're doing. I process customer mailing lists
into a format which can be used by my Windows mail processing program.
Since I had all this infrastructure already built in Perl/Python/C,
etc., I use system() calls to execute the code and use PHP to stitch the
pieces together. Thus, I have no problems. This could be an alternative
for you, but I don't know enough about your internals to say.

In circumstances like this, I would "instrument" the code with
echo/print statements all around where you think the problem is. Echo
variables which should be a certain thing, arrays which should exist,
etc. I know, this is probably a blindingly obvious approach, but I've
had circumstances like this, where the problem is completely bizarre and
elusive. And that's how I ultimately solved it (or worked around it).

As with other responders, I have to say that if you're doing the
processing on the server, it doesn't make any sense.

Um... one other wild possibility I almost hate to mention. I don't
recall if you mentioned whether your server was running Windows or not.
But I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to barf under certain circumstances
if the user agent (browser) isn't IE. If it was engineered to happen
only under edge cases, most users would never notice. It may seem
paranoid, but Microsoft has done things like this numerous times before.
If you are running Windows on the server, try exporting the installation
to a Linux server and see if you have the same problem.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster