From: Jaime Bozza [mailto:jbozza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 20 August 2009 09:49 PM
To: Leon du Plessis; 'Floyd Resler'
Cc: arno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  SESSION VARIABLES ACROSS DIFFERENT WINDOWS/TABS

Leon,

This is really just a function of the browser.   When a session cookie is
created, if the browser is setup for a single instance, that's the session
cookie it'll use for *any* request to that domain.  This functions
differently depending on what browser you're using.

For example:
Firefox - All windows, tabs, etc, under the same profile will use the same
session.   If you create profiles, you can have different sessions.
IE7, IE6 - All tabs or windows opened from clicks will share the same
instance/session.  Starting IE from the icon will open up a "new"
instance/session.  This worked great if you wanted to run two different
sessions at the same site/domain.  Just start IE up from the icon again and
you'd have a new session.
IE8 - IE8 model changed, so that all browser windows, tabs, etc., run under
the same frame/session, much like Firefox.  Clicking the IE icon again now
just keeps the same frame and thus the same session.  Originally, this
sounded like a big problem, but IE8 introduced a new feature - File Menu ->
New Session.   This will open up a new window that will be a separate frame
that will not use current session cookies.

Here's just one of many links, but gives some helpful hints on the IE side:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/05/06/session-cookies-sessionstorage-a
nd-ie8.aspx

And another:
http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/2009/05/08/session-management-within-int
ernet-explorer-8-0.aspx

One of the issues now is that if you close IE, your session does not
disappear.  In the past (IE7/IE6), your session would disappear if you
closed a browser window that you opened yourself, but it *wouldn't*
disappear if you closed a browser window that was opened by a click from
Outlook or another program.  This was a bit inconsistent.  I won't argue
whether or not their "fix" was the best way to go, but now it's at least
consistent.

Note - In Firefox, not even "Private Browsing" separates the session
cookies.  If you start Private Browsing (Firefox 3.5), log into a site, then
start a new browser window from the icon (that isn't in Private Browsing
mode), it shares the session cookies. (Before you ask, I just checked this
to be sure.)

IE8 "InPrivate Mode" is a totally separate session, cookies and all.  This
could possibly be another way for you to run multiple sessions against the
same domain.  OTOH, multiple InPrivate sessions running at the same time
share the same frame, so they share the same session, so it would only be
good for a single new session.  If you need more, just use File - New
Session.

Jaime