RE: SESSIONS lost sometimes

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 12:04 +0200, Leon du Plessis wrote:
> Thanks Ashley,
>
> I just want to iterate again that when a new page is opened by another
> existing page in a new browser or Tab, the session_id is already created and
> therefore the current way browsers work is in no way compremised. The new
> browser/tab would receive the session id along with GET or POST variables.
>
> What I am suggesting/hoping is that when a new browser is opened or a new
> tab is opened via the application, the protocols would reckognize that this
> is the first time the page is served and is not being called from another
> page. That is, a new page is loaded by the user entering it, and NOT by
> clicking login or some other link from an existing page.
>
> Yes, I know..that creates other scenarios, so is happy to not meddle with
> the way browsers work. It is just a limitation I will live with and can get
> by with it.
>
> Regards
> Leon

There is one way to get around it, and that is to use arrays within your
session variables. So for example, it might look something like this:

$_SESSION['your_app_name']['username']['some_value']

This way, if the username doesn't exist, you know there is no session
for them. It's ugly, but it will get around what you see as a
limitation.