Re: Re: PHP programming strategy

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 09:24 +1000, Clancy wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:25:20 -0400, phpster@xxxxxxxxx (Bastien Koert) wrote:

> >> Nested tables are the devils playthings!
>
> I must be the devil, then.  I enjoy playing with them.  And if they're done right they
> seem to work on every system I have tried them on.  Granted Dreamweaver design mode gets
> its knickers in a knot if you nest them more than about 4 deep.
>

> >> Thanks,
> >> Ash
> >> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >>

> >> --
> >>

> >I would agree there...we have an app that allows users to create forms
> >dynamically with a left and right panel section along with some full
> >width plug-in. At a minimum this is built with three nested tables.
> >Here's the really rotten part, the VP (original dev for the display
> >code) screwed a table close up somewhere. A bug they found literally
> >minutes before it when to prod at a client site, instead of giving me
> >15 minutes to trace it down, they wrapped the entire table structure
> >in another table to make it look pretty.
>
> Clearly he didn't verify the HTML before he released the original version. ;-)
> >
> >Drives me mental as it produces lots a visual screw up when a certain
> >pattern in the form elements is created
>
> That's the joy of HTML errors - often the output will appear normal until you make some
> minor, and apparently irrelevant, change, when it all goes haywire.

That's not the only point. If you're on a slow connection you'll notice
the issue. Some browsers only start displaying the page once all the
layout data has been loaded. I've seen some sites with nesting levels of
7 tables deep sometimes, and that's just a mess. I'm also unsure how
text/speech/Braille browsers deal with complex table sites too.

And tables shouldn't be used for layout, use CSS instead!...