Re: This is the kind of [expletives deleted] answer that is certain to prevent bugs being reported.

Jim Lucas wrote:
Kyle Smith wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:
Kyle Smith wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
See http://bugs.php.net/?id=48612

"Thank you for taking the time to write to us, but this is not
a bug. And RTFM". (RTFM is my interpretation of the rest).

And that only took a little more than a month. Thanks very much.

Can anyone here tell me why the CLI behaviour reported is not a bug?
An explicit manual reference will do.

Btw, I brought it up here already:
http://marc.info/?l=php-general&m=124487699630514&w=2

/Per

I don't mean to be rude, but I have never heard of or used these
functions and never written a multi-lingual PHP site.  I RTFM'd and
found this:

http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.setlocale.php

Then I read the first sentence defining the second parameter, which
states: If /locale/ is *NULL* or the empty string /""/, the locale
names will be set from the values of environment variables with the
same names as the above categories, or from "LANG".

Pretty straight-forward.
Did you bother reading the bug report?  The PHP CLI ignores the locale
setting from the environment such as set by setting LC_ALL. Your
quoting from the manual does not change that.  Now, if you can find a
place in the manual that says the CLI will ignore whatever locale
settings are set in the environment, we can talk again.

/Per

I don't think your aggressive attitude to the situation is helping
anyone here.   The manual *explicitly* states that using
setlocale(LC_xyz,'') will use the environment variable setting for that
LC_xyz option.  This *implies* that, by default, those environment
variables are not used.

Perhaps it should use the environment variables, instead?  At any rate,
it's not a "bug", since someone(s) did it that way on purpose.  You
could file a feature request.

Sorry, just want to point out a difference, that I see, in the code
examples.  Not trying to start anything here...

So, what does the example you provide have to do with the ops code
example in the bug report?

OPS example code from bug report
LC_ALL=de_DE.utf8 php -r "print strftime('%B');"

your example
setlocale(LC_xyz,'')

I don't see him using the above function in his example.

From what I can tell, the op is trying to set the locale /AT/ the cli,
not from within the script.

I guess my first debugging question would be:

Can you successfully set other LC_xyz categories, besides the LC_ALL, in
the same manor that your example shows?

If it works with the others (LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, etc...) then I
/would/ call this a bug.  Unless it has been explicitly stated somewhere
that the op has not found that "This works with all but the LC_ALL
category."

Just my 2 bits worth.

Jim Lucas

I agree entirely, Jim. Would be a good test. My guess is that they all behave the same way, based on how the setlocale() documentation reads.

- Kyle