Re: Writing to a file

Jason Carson wrote:
Hello everybody,

How would I go about writing stuff to a file but in between the <?php ?>
tags?

Example, say I have config.php as follows...

<?php

$hostname = "localhost";
$database = "database";
$username = "username";
$password = "password";

?>

How would I go about adding stuff at the end of the file, but before the
?> tag?

IMHO that's kind of dangerous.
Better to have an xml file -

<config>
<dbconfig>
  <hostname value="localhost" />
  <database value="database" />
  <username value="username" />
  <password value="password" />
</dbconfig>
</config>

and read it into a DOM object via DOMDocument.
Then you can add things to the DOM
by making them children of the config node - and write the whole dom back to file.

That way your web app does not have write permission to a file that gets executed, and you can potentially cache the DOMDocument object in memory so it doesn't have to read from file every page load to get your settings (not tried that yet myself but I don't see why you couldn't).