Re: Cleaning up automatically when leaving a page

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 06:38:19PM -0700, Mary Anderson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I have a php application for which I have a page which creates
> temporary junk and puts it into a persistent store  (in this case a
> postgres database, but that is beside the point.)
>
>   I have a Save button which puts the stuff I really want into the
> persistent store and cleans up the temporary junk.  I have a Cancel
> button which only cleans up the temporary junk.
>
>    I would really like to have the cleanup code run anytime a user
> leaves the page without hitting the Save button.  Is there anyway to do
> this?  I.e. have php code called conditionally on exiting the page?

If the user hits the "Back" button or exits via clicking on some link on
the page, there's no reasonable way to do this (Michael's cron versions
excepted). Because the HTTP protocol has no effective memory, there's no
way for it to know that the user exited without saving. You can do
various tricky things like set a $_SESSION variable, and then have it
checked at the top of each page where the user could go, and check and
clean up if the variable has a certain value. But that's pretty tedious.
You could execute the whole thing as part of a class, and put a check in
the constructor of the class (where it will be called on every page)
which cleans up if necessary.

In other words, there are ways to do this, but they are tedious. The
PHP/HTTP execution engines have no way of doing it on their own.

(Oh, there may be a way to do this with Javascript. I'm not good with
Javascript, but maybe there's some "OnExit" event which you could use to
cause a Javascript function to do an AJAX call to a PHP script which
cleans up. I dunno.)

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster