RE: I've some doubts if I should go with 5.2 or go already with 5.3 (for a course)

From: Michael A. Peters
> Manuel Aude wrote:
>> I'm giving a PHP course next semester (3 hours all saturdays for 22
weeks)
>> and I just realized that PHP 5.3 is coming very soon (2 days now!).
So, my
>> plans of teaching PHP 5.2 are starting to change, and I think it's a
good
>> idea to teach them 5.3 already.
>>
>> While the majority of the students use Windows, I'm aware that a vast
amount
>> will be using Ubuntu/Debian (and some use Gentoo, Fedora and Arch)
>> distributions of Linux, so I'm hoping there won't be too many
problems on
>> installation. I don't want to waste the entire first class fixing
>> installation problems, because that kills the student's motivation.
>>
>> The course starts on August, but I'm preparing it during the last two
weeks
>> of July. You think that installation packages will be bulletproof by
then?
>> Or should I just teach 5.2 and wait for another semester before
starting on
>> 5.3? I mean, most hosts will remain with PHP 5.2 for the rest of the
year,
>> so I'm a bit confused on what I should do.
>>
>> I'm just a university student that wants to spread PHP, for I've been
using
>> it for many years now =)
>
> Many hosts are still on php 5.1.x (IE RHEL based hosts).
> I would be worried that many popular classes and apps might be quirky
> under 5.3.
>
> I've not played with it at all, and probably won't for some time, but
> I've been bitten by that more than once.
>
> Nice thing about 5.2.x as far as linux goes anyway, installing it is
> cake from the package repositories. Using package repositories for php

> installs is suggested as security fixes can be updated with ease.
>
> As someone running a newer version of php (5.2.9) than what my distro
> ships with, here are some of the issues:

Manuel,

You might want to check on the release schedules for PHP 5.3(.1?) by the
major distributions. Even if they are close to the end of your class
schedule, will they be deployed that quickly to sites your students
could be working on? Or will they still be working with 5.2 for the
foreseeable future?

I have recently been told that we are switching from compiling Apache,
PHP and PostgreSQL ourselves to only using the official RedHat RPMs on
our production servers[*]. This is coupled with a move to a managed
hosting service. But since RH is not even shipping the most recent
version of 5.2, I don't expect to see a 5.3 RPM for some time. Maybe it
will have enough improvements to trigger an early update from them, but
who knows. After they release it, it will still be a while before we
pick it up, test it and deploy it. So even though I like some of the
changes in 5.3, I am stuck with 5.2 for at least another year, maybe
two.

Bob McConnell

[*] No, I don't like this at all. I see it as the antithesis of both the
Open Source and Free Software philosophies. It means we give up control
of some of the options we were selecting at compile time and have to
settle for somebody else's idea of the perfect server. I fully expect it
will come back to bite us at some point.