Re: php applications

Robert Cummings wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> "Languages were designed to be programmed, what they are programmed to
>> do is entirely up to the programmer."
>>
>> Perhaps there is no hope then. This is so distant from the actual case
>> it does not require more than pointing out.
>>
>> If you want to write demons in php fine, i wince at the thought.
>
> Demons are fantastical creatures. The word you're erroneously trying to
> repeat is "daemon".
You'll find both spellings refer to the same thing.

>> The question isnt whether a PHP programmer thinks PHP is the right
>> tool for the job, unanimously the answer will be 'yes' because of the
>> myopia of the position. It is whether people with experience on a
>> number of different platform, using a number of different languages
>> think it is... i've yet to hear *anyone* in this position advocate PHP.
>
> I don't have myopia, I've already said many times that there can
> certainly be better ways to do something, there can be more established
> choices, but just because there are, doesn't preclude the use of a less
> worthy tool with the possible side effect that the less worthy tool
> undergoes some kind of evolution such that it becomes a better choice in
> the future.
You're advocating using a hammer as a screwdriver to spur the invention of the screwdriver? We already have the screwdriver, it's called python. If you need a drill there's Java, etc.

There was a time when C was a less worthy choice, there was
> a time when Java was a less worthy choice, there was a time when you
> probably had a more open mind. The fact remains that things change, and
> usually change is driven by some impetus. That impetus may indeed be due
> to the selected environment having been found lacking.

Yes, certainly. This is why we have phc, phalanger, pint, mod_php, PHP4Mono, etc.

You'll also notice youre talking about a progression of languages... not a progression within a language. People arent writing operating systems in python precisely because that would be an absurd misuse of a tool, nor are they writing RDMBs in PHP. There are good reasons for this.

Michael