Re: Web application design considerations - a good reference ?

Tony Marston wrote:

> If you are building a business application with PHP rather than an
> ordinary
> website then I suggest that you use a framework instead of trying to
> reinvent the wheel (and making a hash of it). The Radicore framework was
> specifically designed for CRUD applications - it uses forms to perform
> Create/Read/Update/Delete operations on the database - so it would be a
> better fit than one which was designed for common-or-garden websites.
>
> The heart of any database application is the database design. Get this
> wrong
> and you are stuffed from the very start. Once you have used the rules of
> data normalisation to design your database you simply build it, then
> import
> the database into the Radicore data dictionary. Then you export each table
> to produce a class file for that table. Still in the data dictionary you
> can
> build end-user transactions by selecting a database table, a transaction
> pattern, then pressing the 'generate' button. This will generate the
> scripts
> and the screen layouts to access the table,  and you can run these scripts
> through the Radicore menu system. All this without having to write a
> single
> line of SQL, HTML or even PHP. The only PHP code you need to write is when
> you want to alter the default behaviour or implement custom business
> rules.
>
> The Radicore framework comes with a built-in Role Based Access Control
> (RBAC) system, and Audit Logging system and a Workflow system. It was
> designed using the Three Tier Architecture and MVC design patterns, so
> makes
> maximum use of reusable modules.
>
> There is an enormous amount of documentation to be found at
> http://www.radicore.org as well as a tutorial and some sample
> applications.
> Try it and see.
>
> --
> Tony Marston
> http://www.tonymarston.net
> http://www.radicore.org
>
> ""Angus Mann"" <angusmann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I'm working on a PHP project for my own personal business use. It will
>> handle billing and invoices as well as payments and time management,
>> bookings, appointments and a few more. I may add things like personal
>> messaging between the various users and a customer login to check on the
>> progress of their accounts.
>>
>> It is a big project and will probably take a year or so to complete in my
>> spare time.
>>
>> I have made a couple of starts but I have no experience in creating such
>> large applications and I find I often end up with spaghetti code. I've
>> tried using session variables to keep track of where and what the program
>> is doing but there are so many permuations and combinations I found
> [...]

How easy is it to write custom modules that plugin to the Radicore
framework?

I am always interested in those kinds of aspects of frameworks.

I see that you are one of the team members, with a Framework like Radicore I
wonder how much support and help from others you will receive especially the
community.

Anyway worth having a look at.

http://www.Elemental.co.za http://www.Elemental.co.za
http://www.wapit.co.za http://www.wapit.co.za