Re: Web application design considerations - a good reference ?

If you are building a business application with PHP rather than an ordinary
website then I suggest that you use a framework instead of trying to
reinvent the wheel (and making a hash of it). The Radicore framework was
specifically designed for CRUD applications - it uses forms to perform
Create/Read/Update/Delete operations on the database - so it would be a
better fit than one which was designed for common-or-garden websites.

The heart of any database application is the database design. Get this wrong
and you are stuffed from the very start. Once you have used the rules of
data normalisation to design your database you simply build it, then import
the database into the Radicore data dictionary. Then you export each table
to produce a class file for that table. Still in the data dictionary you can
build end-user transactions by selecting a database table, a transaction
pattern, then pressing the 'generate' button. This will generate the scripts
and the screen layouts to access the table,  and you can run these scripts
through the Radicore menu system. All this without having to write a single
line of SQL, HTML or even PHP. The only PHP code you need to write is when
you want to alter the default behaviour or implement custom business rules.

The Radicore framework comes with a built-in Role Based Access Control
(RBAC) system, and Audit Logging system and a Workflow system. It was
designed using the Three Tier Architecture and MVC design patterns, so makes
maximum use of reusable modules.

There is an enormous amount of documentation to be found at
http://www.radicore.org as well as a tutorial and some sample applications.
Try it and see.

--
Tony Marston