Re: Confirmation email caught by spam filter

Andrew Ballard wrote:
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM, LAMP <lamp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi,
I use the following code (from php.net) to send confirmation email to the
person that just created an account:

 $headers =    "MIME-Versin: 1.0\n" .
               "From: Orders <orders@xxxxxxxxxxxx>\n" .
$body, $headers);

$subject is something like "[MyDomain] Your new account", and $body is just
few plain text details  about person who created the form.

The same code I use to reset a password: a visitor enters his/her email
address and the link with session ID is sent to entered email address.

The problem is the confirmation emails and "reset password" emails are very
often caught  by email filter and finish in Spam/Junk folder, or even
stopped by ISP. What am I doing wrong, or what to do to improve the code?

Also, how can I get bounced emails?

Thanks,

Afan

What mail program is PHP using? Did you check out the
$additional_parameters (5th parameter) for the mail() function? If
you're using sendmail and the envelope from address is
'nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx', you can pretty much assume they will get dumped
as SPAM regardless of what you set in the From: header.

Andrew

right. the "5th element" was wwwrun@... (return-path)
I added on the end of the mail() '-forders@xxxxxxxxxxxx'

Though, where/how can I setup the get bounced emails? Shouldn't bounced email be sent to "return-path"? I just sent few emails with non-existing email addresses and didn't get anything back?