Re: I need ideas for things to code -- Roach vs Bugzilla

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Shawn McKenzie <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, so geared towards software bugs I assume (I haven't used any)?

Web site development, a little system administration. But yes,
basically software bugs.

> OK, so I am not familiar with the bug tracking software or anything that
> it needs to do, but I find it hard to believe that at the top of the
> list would be APIs, plugins, RSS.  These don't sound like "main"
> features of a bug tracking app.

APIs for bug insertion, deletion, reporting, etc. is not far off from
a core product. Especially in web 2.0 land nowadays. We have multiple
installations of bugzilla and other tracking mechanisms in and outside
of the company feeding off each other, with no clean interfaces.

Of course there are hundreds of generic "bug tracking" programs out
there. Anyone with a PHP book can make one. We'd like to align with an
"industry standard" type one, or one with an active community, but
there is no real big one I am aware of other than Bugzilla (if not
factoring in language) or Mantis (for PHP), or with SCM interaction
Redmine and Trac.

Trac won't work for us because we have multiple repositories/projects.
We'd have to hack together some sort of solution to manage all of them
from one, or install a bunch of instances, and then we'd have bugs in
multiple systems to track. Each developer on our team handles code for
at least one project, just FYI.

Redmine may work, but we need more time to determine if we can hack
our own auth layer on top of it. Even then I am not sure if it will
meet our needs 100% or not. We have not evaluated it enough yet.

> Doesn't matter PHP or other.  What is not available in any other product
> that would be awesome to have (wish list)?

Most products are bloated.

Part of my wish list would be that it is written in PHP, so our team
can extend it without writing beginner <insert language here> code to
try to customize the couple things we'd need to tweak (like the auth
layer)