Re: I need ideas for things to code -- Roach vs Bugzilla

Michael Shadle wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Shawn McKenzie
> <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> #1  Which one are we talking about?
>
> Tickets/trackers (Bugzilla, Mantis, Roach, you name it) and SCM
> integration tools (Redmine, Trac)

OK, so geared towards software bugs I assume (I haven't used any)?

>> #2  Having rarely used either, what are the main (must have)
>> features?
>
> For general purpose ticketing engine, it would need custom field
> support. For specifically designed solutions it depends. For us we
> only need a few fields, really. I've hacked together bits and pieces
> in only a few minutes, we're using a custom one right now, but one
> with active development would be nice - APIs and plugins for
> extensibility, XML/RSS feeds, etc. Those aren't required but should
> come standard nowadays...

OK, so I am not familiar with the bug tracking software or anything that
it needs to do, but I find it hard to believe that at the top of the
list would be APIs, plugins, RSS.  These don't sound like "main"
features of a bug tracking app.

>> #3  What are the needed features that other OSS solutions don't
>> offer?
>
> Clean interface, easy reporting, integration with SCM (i.e. svn) -
> various apps do various combinations of these. If it was done in PHP
> it would be perfect as we could bolt on our custom authentication
> into it. Trac is written in Python and Redmine in Ruby; we'd have to
> re-code our authentication integration into one of those languages
> for it.
>
> Oh, and multiple project support. Trac does not support this. Redmine
>  claims to. (as in, multiple svn repositories as well)

I can dig it...

>> #4  What are the great features missing from free and commercial
>> apps?
>
> I am not sure I've seen a commercial PHP app that does this.

Doesn't matter PHP or other.  What is not available in any other product
that would be awesome to have (wish list)?

-Shawn