Re: checkboxes

Lists wrote:
> PJ wrote:
>> How to deactivate checkboxes when one in a series is checked?
>> <input type="checkbox" name="choice[1]"><another input>
>> <input type="checkbox" name="choice[2]"><another input1>
>> <input type="checkbox" name="choice[3]"><another input2>
>> <input type="checkbox" name="choice[4]"><another input3>
>> So that only 1 of the other inputs could be used in a search. Probably
>> do the rest with switch stuff.
>> Would be neat if the deactivated checkboxes would go grey.
>> Is this an HTML question? Use onclick?But I think I need to either use a
>> php string or function or would this be a CSS thingy?
>> Thanks for any help.
>

> I think you need to explain more precisely what you are doing.
>
> However, an appropriate use of client-side processing vs.
> server-side process is always a factor in a good web app.
>
> You *could* disable stuff via choices that are made with
> PHP, but it requires a submission of data. Javascript would
> allow you to disable certain things without a submission.
>
> First, I'd like to hear more clearly what end result you
> are going for.
Well, I'm making a page to do limited searching of the database. To keep
it simple I just want to search by title, author,  ISBN or copyright
date. So, I need to input the user's choice, limit it to one of the
options and pass the supplied parameter to the query. I prefer to not
use Javascript. No need to disable stuff as that was merely a
misdirected thought. I think Ashley's suggestion should work. My problem
has been to understand the workings of the form inputs. Now, I'm just
anticipating some acrobatic feats to be able to pass the author
parameters to the query as they are comprised of two fields (first_name
and last_name). But, I think that that can be done, at worst, by doing a
different query just for the author.
TIA.
Phil

--
unheralded genius: "A clean desk is the sign of a dull mind. "