Re: Re: Suggestions of some good, simple file upload 'in progress' code?

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Michael Shadle <mike503@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 6:20 AM, haliphax <haliphax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>>
>> Given the fact that Gears requires a client-side installation, has an
>> awful penetration percentage, and his original solution is all
>> server-side (though it does require APC and YUI-JS), I wouldn't say
>> this is a very good suggestion. Compared to what he has already found,
>> the Gears solution is not "clean" by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> a) the native solution that requires APC is not multi-webserver capable
> b) i was just sharing a different approach to an idea. who knows. it
> might be something to explore. gears is pretty lightweight, and for
> the ease of this and the functionality it brings (not to mention
> cross-browser+platform) i see a compelling reason to give it a shot.
> c) the APC method -still- requires webserver tweaks and post max size
> etc. this is sending small chunks of data, is proxy-safe, and requires
> nothing on the server; all that is required is gears, which is a
> library to extend your browser's capabilities and i have not heard any
> issues with it or security holes thus far. penetration is an issue but
> when more sites push it and say "hey, you should install it" the
> penetration will grow. not to mention youtube for example is using
> roughly the same method and picking up a lot of browser installs off
> that.

> i completely disagree it is not "clean" - it is literally one browser
> addon that a lot of people do have, comes from a reputable company,
> and creates basically limitless upload capabilities - i can do 300 meg
> files without blinking - it's not one long single POST that can fail
> anytime, it's lots of small POST requests; it takes basic PHP on the
> server and then some javascript for the UI (all the pieces to get a
> basic functional install i sent links to)

Unless you are in a corporate environment where you control what is
installed on your visitors' machines, then just about any server-side
hell you have to put yourself through is "cleaner" to the client than
them needing to install ANYTHING.

I'm sorry if my opinion seems a little too "black and white," but
those are the breaks. I can definitely say that, coming from a higher
education institution standpoint, the site I work on would ALWAYS do
something server-side and exhaust all of those possibilities before
forcing prospective students, applicants, etc. to download additional
software for their web browser.

It depends on the clientele, really.

--
// Todd