Re: Opendir on site root directory?

2009/3/8 Clancy <clancy_1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 09:01:18 +0000, stuttle@xxxxxxxxx (Stuart) wrote:
>
> >2009/3/8 Clancy <clancy_1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> >> I want to index the files on a website recursively. The program will run
> in
> >> the site root
> >> directory, which GETCWD reports as D:/Websites/Website_1.  I can open
> any
> >> file in the root
> >> directory simply using its file name; Joe.dat, for example, and I can
> >> opendir for any
> >> subdirectory; eg
> >>
> >>        opendir(Subdirectory_1);
> >>
> >> but opendir () does not seem to work, and the only way I can find to
> open
> >> the root
> >> directory is to give its full path; eg
> >>
> >>        opendir (D:/Websites/Website_1);
> >>
> >> I have got the program working by using the full path to open the root
> >> directory, and then
> >> using relative paths to open the subdirectories and individual files,
> but
> >> this seems
> >> rather a kludge, and I am wondering if there is a way to open the root
> >> directory without
> >> specifying an absolute path?
> >

> >The current working directory cannot be trusted to be "right". The best
> >option is to use dirname(__FILE__) and add '/..' as many times as needed
> >get from the current file to the document root you're after.
>
> It has always worked for me.  But then I never change directory. But both
> give a hardware
> dependent answer;
>
> echo '<p>Current directory is '.__FILE__.', CWD is '.getcwd().'</p>'; gives
>
> Current directory is D:\Websites\Corybas\Cydaldev\Dev\Testbed_2.php, CWD is
> D:\Websites\Corybas.

Not sure what you mean by a hardware-dependent answer. The current working
directory for any given script is determined by the web server and so it
cannot be assumed to be the location of the current script.
dirname(__FILE__) will give you the directory the current script is in.

> Opendir (Dev); works, opendir (); ought logically to work, but doesn't. (It
> complains it
> needs at least one parameter.)
>
> Eventually I found that
>
>        opendir('../Cydaldev'); does not work
>        chdir(Cydaldev); opendir ('..'); does work, but I can't say I like
> this.

Based on that the following should work in your particular situation, but
rather than just using this I encourage you to understand why it works...
opendir(dirname(__FILE__).'/../Cydaldev');

-Stuart

--
http://stut.net/