Opendir on site root directory?

I want to index the files on a website recursively. The program will run in the site root
directory, which GETCWD reports as D:/Websites/Website_1.  I can open any file in the root
directory simply using its file name; Joe.dat, for example, and I can opendir for any
subdirectory; eg

	opendir(Subdirectory_1);

but opendir () does not seem to work, and the only way I can find to open the root
directory is to give its full path; eg

	opendir (D:/Websites/Website_1);

I have got the program working by using the full path to open the root directory, and then
using relative paths to open the subdirectories and individual files, but this seems
rather a kludge, and I am wondering if there is a way to open the root directory without
specifying an absolute path?