Re: upload progress (was www.soongy.com)

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 15:02 -0800, mike wrote:
> Yes you can do it with only javascript but you'll need server
> components to deal with large files ... Which the OP does not have
> access to. Post and file limits could become an issue.
>
> Not to mention flash and java penetration is huge. I think flash is on
> something like 96% of browsers now...
>
> Just think of how usenet, bittorrent, etc work. They split up larger
> files into smaller chunks and assemble it after. The same idea was in
> my head when I approached this.
>
> On Mar 2, 2009, at 12:26 PM, "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > mike wrote:

> >> Of course not, but
> >> a) browsers don't have it built-in, yet (I was working on trying to
> >> make a "standard" that I could pitch to browser creators)
> >> b) how do you think the flash or java applets got there anyway? :)
> >> Have a standard upload form. Tell people if they want more advanced
> >> multi-file support, progress support, etc, etc, install Gears as
> >> well.
> >> To me, Gears should be something just like Flash and Java... and I
> >> think is lighter-weight and allows for extending browser capabilities
> >> across nearly every platform without learning new languages.
> >
> > I don't like to install firefox extensions, I keep them to a bare
> > minimum (more stable that way, less annoyances from updates to some
> > extension or another being found ever session, etc) and I don't like
> > sites that depend upon flash and java for functionality.
> >
> > I won't install an extension just to use a specific site, I only
> > install an extension if it is something I want (IE noscript - to
> > keep your annoying flash from using my browsers resources).
> >
> > You can do a good multi-file upload progress bar w/ the client only
> > needing to allow JavaScript. In the OP's case that may mean the OP
> > has to change hosts or use perl to process the upload, but here's
> > the thing - if the client doesn't allow JavaScript, the upload still
> > works fine - they just don't get a progress bar. You can use the
> > same form - just use <noscript>foo</noscript> to tell users to be
> > patient and not hit submit 20 zillion times.
> >
> > With a flash / java based solution, you have to have different code
> > for users who wisely do not allow flash and/or java, which is more
> > work for you (you have to test and maintain multiple uploads) and
> > requires the user to take specific action depending upon their setup.
> >
> > // steps off soap box
> >
> > --

There are a lot of free FTP Java applets out there, which you could
easily integrate with a web page and your hosting. You'll have the
advantage of a familiar interface, multiple uploads, queues, and
progress bars. Worst case scenario, user has no Java and you have to
offer a standard upload form.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk