Re: PHP usage stats

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 15:37 -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 03:20:48PM -0500, tedd wrote:
>
> > At 3:54 PM +0000 2/8/09, Stuart wrote:
> >> 2009/2/8 tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >>
> >>  > I wasn't able to find a lot of information, but here's a useful link:
> >>>
> >>  > http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
> >>
> >> Tedd, that's a list of programming languages, not web development
> >> languages.
> >
> > The list shows php, javascript, ruby, and perl -- are those NOT web
> > development languages?!?
> >
> > -----
> >
> >> I have no doubt that C# + VB accounts for more development
> >> in the world than PHP. Both are used extensively in non-web
> >> development whereas PHP is not.
> >>
> >>  > If you find any information of the numbers of php users out there,
> > please
> >>  > let me know.
> >>
> >> When you consider how such a thing would be measured it won't take
> >> long to realise why the number is not available. You have to bear in
> >> mind non-public use which will not be insignificant, servers where PHP
> >> is not advertised and a multitude of other reasons why any number you
> >> could come up with *will* be wrong, and therefore pretty useless.
> >>
> >> Why anyone would see value in such a number is beyond me. IMHO the
> >> community that exists around it and the number of jobs out there
> >> requiring PHP should be enough to convince anyone that it's not an
> >> insignificant player.
> >
> > -Stuart
> >
> > I guess I'm not all that bright. To me a programming language is a
> > programming language regardless of platform or purpose -- that was so
> > when I was programming FORTRAN on Phoenix I, or Applesoft on Apple
> > ]['s, or postscript on HI's; or ANSI C on Alphas, or FutureBasic and
> > C/C++ on Macs, or PHP on Apache, or Javascript on IE -- they are all
> > the same to me. I'm just trying to get a handle on the number of
> > people who program in php -- what's wrong with wanting to know that
> > figure?
> >
> > Look, I teach at the local college and am trying to get PHP/MySQL
> > courses to be taught there. I have superiors who are asking "How does
> > PHP stack up against ASP?" which the college teaches AS THE web
> > development language. I really can't go back to them and say "Well,
> > everyone just *knows* PHP is a significant player" -- that's not
> > proof.
>
> Perhaps a better question then might be how many IIS servers are there
> out there compared to Apache. Apache servers uniformly support PHP, but
> I think only IIS servers support ASP (I could be wrong). There's also
> the FOSS argument. I'm continually surprised the pinheads in academia
> don't see the value of FOSS compared to being beholden to huge corporate
> behemoths like Microsoft.
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul M. Foster

I'm not sure that would be much help either. ASP.Net is available on
Apache with the mono modules, and PHP is available on IIS.

Maybe another way to determine language popularity would be to obtain a
list (of suitable length) of the top websites, probably through the
lists released by the major search engines; and then try as best as
possible to determine the language used for each site. In some cases
this may not be possible, i.e. a website hides the language it uses so
well you can't see it, but the resulting list should be a fair
distribution of language popularity.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk