Re: PHP usage stats

At 3:54 PM +0000 2/8/09, Stuart wrote:
2009/2/8 tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx>:

 > I wasn't able to find a lot of information, but here's a useful link:

 > http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

Tedd, that's a list of programming languages, not web development
languages.

The list shows php, javascript, ruby, and perl -- are those NOT web development languages?!?

-----

I have no doubt that C# + VB accounts for more development
in the world than PHP. Both are used extensively in non-web
development whereas PHP is not.

 > If you find any information of the numbers of php users out there, please
 > let me know.

When you consider how such a thing would be measured it won't take
long to realise why the number is not available. You have to bear in
mind non-public use which will not be insignificant, servers where PHP
is not advertised and a multitude of other reasons why any number you
could come up with *will* be wrong, and therefore pretty useless.

Why anyone would see value in such a number is beyond me. IMHO the
community that exists around it and the number of jobs out there
requiring PHP should be enough to convince anyone that it's not an
insignificant player.

-Stuart

I guess I'm not all that bright. To me a programming language is a programming language regardless of platform or purpose -- that was so when I was programming FORTRAN on Phoenix I, or Applesoft on Apple ]['s, or postscript on HI's; or ANSI C on Alphas, or FutureBasic and C/C++ on Macs, or PHP on Apache, or Javascript on IE -- they are all the same to me. I'm just trying to get a handle on the number of people who program in php -- what's wrong with wanting to know that figure?

Look, I teach at the local college and am trying to get PHP/MySQL courses to be taught there. I have superiors who are asking "How does PHP stack up against ASP?" which the college teaches AS THE web development language. I really can't go back to them and say "Well, everyone just *knows* PHP is a significant player" -- that's not proof.

Sometimes I have to wonder why anyone would question an honest question?

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------