RE: best practice wrt multi-lingual websites, gettext() etc.

---8<---

> At work, we don't use gettext() since :
> a) its an classic ASP shop (  :-(  ), therefore no Linux and no PHP
> b) the db current doesn't support multi-byte charsets

If database size (on disk, not spatially) isn't a concern, you might
consider encoding the multi-byte strings, storing them encoded, and then
decoding them when that language is requested. There will be overhead
involved in the codec operations, obviously, but you could help to curb
that with client- or server-side caching.

Just a thought. It might not be feasible for your situation at all...

// Todd