Re: best practice wrt multi-lingual websites, gettext() etc.

Phpster wrote:

> Dunno if it's a best practice, but I store all the translations in the
> db for easy manipulation and extraction to a file for others to
> translate. That obviously involves both import and export utilities.

Hi Bastien

interesting - does this mean you're also coding for language-awareness
yourself?  I mean, you must have your own gettext() functionality?

> A number of pup apps take the approach of storing the label
> translations in variables inside language folders ( phpmyadmin has
> this ). That is also not a bad approach but is slightly slower and I
> can't help but feeling that serving up a static page created by code
> is a better solution.

That's part of what we're thinking of doing, but it's difficult to
separate the language and code completely.  Which is where gettext()
comes in.

Does anyone on this list use gettext() ?

/Per Jessen, Zürich