Re: Kinda 0.T... php site and maintenance

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Nitsan Bin-Nun <nitsanbn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have just quitted from my partial time job at the company.
> I did some personally sites like that for 2 banks here in Israel.
>
> When I do something like that I usually basing the whole thing on the known
> blogging platform WordPress, it has a massive power inside of it, the
> templating system is very easy and gives you the ability to dress it up
> without any extra knowledge except common sense and a bit of php knowledge,
> It supports creating galleries (using plugins, etc) and gives you the
> functionally you usually need when you write a personall website - free
> access to creating static pages, using wordpress integrated WYSIWYG editor,
> creating "updates" using the blog posts, etc.
>
> I found it very useful so far (I used this platform in 15 websites~) and I
> think you will find it more than great for your client's job.
>
> HTH,
> Nitsan
>
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Ryan S <genphp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> >
> > Got a question for you guys who make a lot of personal sites.
> >
> > I got a US client who wants me to make a personal site, 4-7 "sections"
> (eg:
> > about me, photos, whats new etc)
> > and have to put a yearly maintenance $$ amount...
> >
> > I thought i'll make most of the stuff using php rather than plain html so
> > the client can update different sections without me (eg: whats new, add
> > pics)
> >
> > What do you guys charge for something like this (dont count hosting and
> > domain fees)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > --

I usually charge around $75 / hr. Though I have a client with a larger app
that pays me about $1K / yr for all the continuing work on it.

But in this case, I think Nitsan is probably correct, in that you should
just use a preset template or blog software and change $250 flat for
it...the first few you might lose money on (if considered in a per hour
basis) but as you get faster and more familiar with it, you can get that
going more quickly.

--

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat