Re: GD and Converting a Transparent PNG-8 to a Transparent GIF

Graham Anderson schreef:
> Hi
>
> I am having problems getting GD to convert a transparent PNG-8 to a
> transparent GIF
> The below WILL produce a GIF...but leaves a white background
>
> # Convert the PreExisting PNG Image to a GIF
> $img = imagecreatefrompng($pngPath);
>
> # Set the GIF to be transparent: Does not seem to work
> $trans_color = imagecolortransparent($img );
>  $trans_index = imagecolorallocate($img, $trans_color['red'],
> $trans_color['green'], $trans_color['blue'] );
>  imagecolortransparent($img, $trans_index );

I can't see the above code doing much useful. the problem is somewhat
more involved, png uses an alpha channel to determine how much transparency
a given pixel has, with gif a pixel is either transparent or not, essentially
a given colour in the gif's palette is marked as transparent and all
pixels with that color are therefore shown as transparent.

try the code here (no idea how well it works):

	http://demo.pixelsandpages.com/php-tests/images/test.html

and/or dig into the user comments here:

	http://php.net/imagecolortransparent