Re: Zend Framework...where to start? -- don't.

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 04:20:16AM -0500, Robert Cummings wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 21:17 -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
> >
> > Incidentally, I would differ from the reviewer in the link above only in
> > this respect: He maintains that every line of code adds time. While this
> > is true, I believe it's the number of files which have to be opened
> > which drags down framework numbers the most. When I wrote C code, the
> > CPU would blaze through the actual code, but file opens and reads
> > consumed far more time than in-memory code execution.
>
> Moot point if you're using an accelerator like eAccelerator or APC since
> these cache the data in memory. Similarly, most operating systems cache
> file reads also, so it's probably not as expensive without an
> accelerator as you think either.

Perhaps, but since much of the C code I've written is on Linux servers
like those used by most of the hosting companies, and since I can't
control whether they do or don't cache pages, my personal experience
(and simple logic) guides me to believe file manipulation is far more
time consuming than simple manipulation of strings, number and arrays.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster