Re: Re: iconv is messing up a spreadsheet generated by the Spreadsheet Excel Writer

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:19:31 +0200, Thodoris wrote:

Variable_name 	Value
character_set_client 	utf8
character_set_connection 	utf8
character_set_database 	latin1
character_set_filesystem 	binary
character_set_results 	utf8
character_set_server 	latin1
character_set_system 	utf8

What's the character set of the column you get the data from?
The charset: latin1 and the collation: latin1_swedish_ci.

I'm not sure exactly how these affect the data
returned to PHP. The 'connection' and 'results'
variables would suggest utf8. In any case, it
must be one of 'latin1' or 'utf8'.

What happens if you do:

  $worksheet->setInputEncoding('latin1');
  /* or 'ISO-8859-1' */

It would still be helpful to see a hexdump.

/Nisse

Since the data are in greek I can't see anything but despite that the xls still breaks. In addition to that MS-Excel doesn't even open the file because it thinks it is corrupted. OOffice still opens it as before but it breaks in a certain line.

BTW As you have already guessed I am using:

$worksheet->setInputEncoding('UTF-8');

I think that it is the pear extension's problem and has something to do with the encoding. I hex dumped the data and no curious characters seem to be there. Moreover the line in the xls that the script breaks the data written changes if I change the encoding.

--
Thodoris