Re: Couple of beginner questions

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:28:49PM -0800, Lars Torben Wilson wrote:

> 2009/1/11 Paul M Foster <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

<snip>

> > But here's a question for those of you who work in a collaborative
> > environment-- are you really ever in a situation where some HTML weenie
> > is coding HTML pages and you're somewhere else doing the PHP work? Or is
> > that some academic's view of the way things *should* be done?
>
> I'm in such a position now, and it's great. Mind you, as I said in
> another post in this thread, I have separated code and presentation
> for years and so I'm probably biased. ;) I can just think about code
> and let someone else handle the presentation. That doesn't mean that
> the weenies* don't have input into the code, or that I don't have
> input into the presentation, just that we don't have to focus on jobs
> that aren't ours.
>
> * - For the record, while I might have thought of the people doing the
> presentation as "HTML weenies" a few years ago, since then I've had to
> run a solo shop for a few years, have done layout for some CD
> releases, and so on--and I have gained respect for people with a truly
> good eye and the ability to translate that onto the screen. While I
> enjoy layout and presentation, it's not where my training is and I
> recognize superior talent when I see it. They have their strengths and
> I have mine and we do what we do best.

As for HTML weenies, my experience has been the opposite. My company
does websites, among other things. Most of my work involves our internal
website, which runs the company. I do PHP and the HTML for the internal
website. My wife does the design/HTML for customer websites. If a
customer website needs PHP, I do it. I don't know how many times we've
had to deal with outside web design types, and found their work to be
atrocious. I also have a fair amount of contempt for people who refuse
to learn anything outside their narrow field, which is what I see in a
lot of HTML folks. I would have more respect for them if they took the
time to understand at least something about PHP, and thus better
understand what I have to deal with in their HTML.

My wife doesn't know as much about HTML as I do, since she uses
Dreamweaver to code HTML. But I code HTML by hand, and I don't have the
patience to do fancy HTML the way she does. Consequently, the internal
website is visually pleasing but not fancy. Customer websites are
prettier than our internal one, but have almost no PHP in them.

However, I've had many situations where my wife has designed a pretty
page I have to now add PHP to. It's tricky. But as a consequence, I tend
to code HTML without resorting to rendering classes. Even though it
would be much easier to do it with classes.

Paul
--
Paul M. Foster