Re: Couple of beginner questions

Paul M Foster wrote:
(snip)
> But here's a question for those of you who work in a collaborative
> environment-- are you really ever in a situation where some HTML weenie
> is coding HTML pages and you're somewhere else doing the PHP work? Or is
> that some academic's view of the way things *should* be done?
>
> Paul

Yup, been there in a mid-sized web agency a few years ago, although with
Java/JSP rather than PHP. The sensitive types drew the pretty pictures on their
Macs, passed the design to the HTML hackers who broke the pretty pictures into
sprawling arrays of table cells and image fragments, then passed the HTML to the
Java teams (me and others) who had to slot in the logic without spoiling the
pretty pictures. Then the sensitive types would see a pixel out of place and the
HTML hackers would have to carefully navigate the logic sections and tweak the
tables to make it look right again.
It certainly focuses the mind about separating logic and presentation. In the
end most of the JSP was done with JSP tag libraries, so that the HTML hackers
were not too distracted by scary Java code.
It actually all worked quite well, and produced some really beautiful web sites
AND really elegant code libraries.
But then the dot-com thing all fell over and it was too expensive for most
people to pay for three teams and a couple of managers just to build a web shop...

--
Peter Ford                              phone: 01580 893333
Developer                               fax:   01580 893399