Re: Couple of beginner questions

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 18:14 +0000, Nathan Rixham wrote:
Robert Cummings wrote:
the above means that moving back to the original <h1> example(s) I'd simply

<h1>whatever</h1>
I'd probably do:

    <project:title>Whatever</project:title>

Which would expand to:

    <h1 class="mainTitle">Whatever<jinn:accFlush
name="contentTitle"/><jinn:accFlush name="contentTitle"
dyanmic="true"/></h1>

Which would expand to a bunch of intermixed HTML/PHP code directly in
the requested document.

The reason for the accumulator flush is to add content to the title in
an unrelated area of the templates as is occasionally necessary. The
first inserts accumulated content during the build process, the second
allows insertion at run-time. Run-time is probably used more often since
it may be when editing a user profile or something and the name is
inserted into the title from the form controller. The compile time
version is used less often but has no run-time hit since it's pre-built.
I do like you're interjinn.. it's like a good coldfusion (no offense intented)

I've got to go do some crying... actually I've never used coldfusion, I
just wanted something that allowed embodying larger content
functionality in shorter syntax.

like flex as well

css:
h1 {
   color: rgb(255,0,0);
   font-size: 1.2em;
}

seeing as you can only have one h1 tag on a single document.
Says who?
well it's logical good practise I guess - not a hard and fast rule (although should probably be thought of as a rule..?) H* tags are used to describe the semantic structure of a document, the H1 tag being used to describe what the entire document / page is about, then h2-h6 being used to split it into sub sections / sub headings. Thus two H1 tags indicates that the document is two different documents. The W3C site itself is normally a good indication for things like this, I'm 100% sure if you check the source for every page you'll not find a single case where there are two H1 tags.

example:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

from the source:

<h1><a name="title" id="title"></a> XHTML&#8482; 1.0 The Extensible HyperText Markup Language (Second Edition)</h1>

because the document is the "XHTML™ 1.0 The Extensible HyperText Markup Language (Second Edition) "; if there was a Third Edition it'd be in a different document

That link you provided just above... open it up in the source viewer...
now do a search for "<h1" ... you'll be very surprised. H1 is merely a
level of heading... h1 being the most important on down to h6.

Cheers,
Rob.

lmfao - cheers rob; completely and utterly take that one back - and actually after running that url through the semantic extractor (http://www.w3.org/2003/12/semantic-extractor.html) I can see how much sense it makes to have multiple h1's

I think my confusions came from too long working with internet marketers and thinking the web should be designed for googlebot.

cheers rob!