Re: Couple of beginner questions

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 08:08 -0500, tedd wrote:
> At 4:16 PM -0500 1/10/09, Paul M Foster wrote:
> >And let me present an alternative perspective. Never do something like:
> >
> ><?php echo 'Hellow world'; ?>
> >
> >Let Apache (or whatever) interpret HTML as HTML, and don't make it
> >interpret PHP code as HTML.
> >
> >Instead, do:
> >
> ><h1>Hello world</h1>
> >
> >If you're going to use PHP in the middle of a bunch of HTML, then only
> >use it where it's needed:
> >
> ><h1>Hello <?php echo $name; ?></h1>
> >
> >The contents of the PHP $name variable can't be seen by the HTML, which
> >is why you need to enclose it in a little PHP "island". Naturally, if
> >you're going to put PHP code in the middle of a HTML page, make the
> >extension PHP. Otherwise, Apache will not interpret the PHP code as PHP
> >(unless you do some messing with .htaccess or whatever). It's just
> >simplest to call a file something.php if it has PHP in it.
> >
> >Paul
> >--
> >Paul M. Foster
>
> Paul:
>
> I agree with you. My example was not well thought out. My point was
> not to mix style elements with data. I should have said:
>
> I would consider the following"bad practice":
>
>   <?php echo("<h1>$whatever</h1>"); ?>
>
> Whereas, the following I would consider "good practice".
>
> <h1><?php echo("$whatever"); ?></h1>
>
> Thanks for keeping me honest.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>

> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com

Unless it's something like this:

<?php
echo "<h1 class=\"$headerClass\">$whatever</h1>";
?>

Which is unlikely for a header tag, but I know this sort of format gets
used a lot by me and others, especially for setting alternate row styles
on tables (damn browsers and not supporting alternate rows!)

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk