Re: Editing in a text area field

At 11:12 AM +1100 1/11/09, Ross McKay wrote:

With a little cooperation from the client, and a properly configured
TinyMCE, you can fairly easily limit what HTML tags they use.

Yes, when you have intelligent and cooperative clients -- have any to spare?

 You can
then provide a set of CSS classes for specific styles used within the
site, and tell TinyMCE about those classes so that the user can make use
of them (via the Styles drop-down).

That's a good idea -- I like that.

The biggest problem is when they copy/paste content from a MS Word
document,

Amen to that. I have had clients say "Where did that come from? That wasn't in my Word document. I guess it must be something in your code screwed it up -- please fix."

Sometimes, they want complete freedom, so they get it. They're paying.

Yes, I understand -- but two things:

1. It does bug me when the client finally realizes the problem and says "Why didn't you know that?" or "You should have told me" or "I didn't know that would happen" even though you warned them six months ago.

2. Mixing style elements with data is still wrong, at least in my mind. I realize the client is paying the bill and because of that they make the call, but I take pride in my work and I am really resistant to clients requiring bad practice.

I guess it's the age old problem of dealing with actions vs consequences.

Thanks for the tip on TinyMCE -- I'll look into that.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------