Re: Editing in a text area field

At 3:19 PM +0000 1/10/09, Nathan Rixham wrote:
tedd wrote:
While one can look at it as defensive programming, it has a larger scope than that.

Certainly you want to sanitize all input from users to prohibit injections, but more than that you want to keep data separate from presentation.

exactly: you want to keep data separate from presentation.
only scope for this is that sometimes you want to store html / presentation data (seeing as it is data)

I understand that one might want to consider storing presentation elements as data in a database, but the alternative would be to simply keep html as html and control the styling via css.

One might want to design a CMS for a client (I've done it) such that you limit the client's ability to inject presentation choices, such as using bold/italic tags. But that also requires more programming effort to determine if the client has entered well-formed html, which is not easy to do. Lot's of effort for little return.

When confronted with the choice, I try to guide clients into CMS's where I use constructs like 'Please enter the headline here:" and "Please enter the body of the text here:" and then provide the <h1> and <p> tags in the html that delivers the content. That way I control both the data and presentation.

I could imagine a database containing what <h1> means (i.e., font-size, margins, color), but that would not be any different than a simple css file, would it not? And be much simpler.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------