Re: First steps towards unix and php

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:44, Frank Stanovcak <blindspotpro@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been a microshaft punk for some time now, and am just getting ready to
> try to step over to unix on one of my own boxes.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on which flavor would be a good idea to
> start with?  I'm looking mostly for compatibility with php, mysql, and other
> web based programming languages.

    For general web production usage, I would recommend the CentOS
project.  Aside from Intrinsic Linux (</plug shame="no">), it's the OS
I recommend more than any other for web servers.  I'm sure you'll find
a lot of folks who will say Ubuntu (or, for some of the boys and girls
over the age of 25 or thirty, Debian), and while you won't have Dag's
full blessing by choosing Ubuntu[1], you should have no problem making
the transition with either of them.

    KEY:
        1: http://dag.wieers.com/blog/ubuntus-need-to-catch-a-wave
                (I just read this a few moments ago.  Keyed it here
because it's a good read.  Zealous, yet accurate.)

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxx || danbrown@xxxxxxx