Re: Re: First steps towards unix and php

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Ross McKay <rosko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:44:48 -0500, Frank Stanovcak wrote:
>
>>I've been a microshaft punk for some time now, and am just getting ready to
>>try to step over to unix on one of my own boxes.
>>
>>Does anyone have any suggestions on which flavor would be a good idea to
>>start with?  I'm looking mostly for compatibility with php, mysql, and other
>>web based programming languages.
>
> What Nathan said, test each candidate in a VM like VirtualBox to see
> which you might be comfortable in. Then pick Fedora :)
>
> Seriously, any of the major distros (or their derivatives) would be
> good, as they take care of the build dependencies for you via packaging
> systems. Check them out here:
>
> http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major
>
> Picking a desktop is harder, especially coming from a Windows world.
> Linux has a great many desktops, each with advantages and disadvantages.
> Many distros allow you to easily switch between at least KDE and GNOME,
> maybe even XFCE. A tiny distro called DSL-N (damned small linux NOT)
> allows you to boot up in several of the lighter desktops to check them
> out. Realise that you can pick a GNOME or KDE desktop and still run apps
> made to suit one of the others, with maybe just some minor integration
> glitches; I run GNOME and use a number of KDE programs just fine.
>
> You should also check out editors and IDEs - STFW for previous posts
> made to this and other groups. Then pick Geany ;)
>
> And don't forget to add a revision control system, e.g. Subversion.
> --
> Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
> "Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"
> - The Wee Book of Calvin
>
> --

I've tried Fedora & Suse before.  Fedora was a pain for me because it
didn't auto mount my windows partition.  It also did not come with any
easy way to do so or to play media.  I know Ubuntu doesn't come with
the ability to play mp3's out of the box, but it was quite easier to
get going.  But my experience has been anything but Ubuntu gave me a
lot of fight, and that isn't what I need when I'm supposed to be
working. ;)