Re: Is MD5 still considered safe for storing application user passwords?

Well, the idea would be to allow the person downloading and implementing the
application to choose their own salt value. That way, in theory, each
implementation of the application will be salting the hash algorithm with a
different value.

I guess, if you really wanted to get tricky, you could programatically
generate a random string on first run of the application and store it in a
background db or in your config file, so that you could be more certain that
the salt value from implementation to implementation was different.

M is for Murray