Re: Is MD5 still considered safe for storing application user passwords?

On Dec 31, 2008, at 5:36 AM, Richard Heyes wrote:

Hi,

You should also take into account how crucial your data is. If it's
nuclear launch codes I would say that you can't get enough security.
Howver if it's an admin system for Bobs local grocery store, then as
"Phpster" suggested, a salted hash may well be enough. For example,
you could use this:

<?php
    $hash = md5($password . 'salt -
bhuyfuyftyfctujvikhgvbhjiftye5645rt68ty97tgifyvcu6yt7d');
?>

Correst me if I'm wrong... but assuming that your salt string is hard coded into the program, with a MD5 a password + salt is no more secure then a simple password?

Unless... When they log in, you store a MD5 hash of the salt in a separate field in the database, and store it on in a cookie so it can be compared.

Or am I just missing something obvious like usual? :)

--
Jason Pruim
japruim@xxxxxxxxxx