Re: Is MD5 still considered safe for storing application user passwords?

I would guess that a properly salted hash would still be safe enough for most sites. Just a hash of the password is not enough as there are readily available hash tables where you can look up the password just by supplying the hash.

Sha-1 is a better alternative for hashing but I would still suggest using a salt value.

Bastien

Sent from my iPod