Re: Will not report errors what can I do

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 08:15 +0000, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 00:00 -0500, Robert Cummings wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 17:44 +1300, German Geek wrote:
> > > On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > wrote:
> > >         On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 15:07 -0800, Jim Lucas wrote:
> > >         > Terion Miller wrote:
> > >         > > Hey everyone I am still fighting the same problem that my
> > >         script isn't
> > >         > > working and its not reporting errors, when you click to
> > >         "view" the work
> > >         > > order it doesn't do anything, I have all kinds of error
> > >         reporting turned on
> > >         > > but nothing, do I have them syntax wrong?
> > >         > >
> > >         > > <?php
> > >         > > include("inc/dbconn_open.php");
> > >         > > error_reporting(E_ALL);
> > >         > >  ini_set('display_errors', '1');
> > >         >
> > >         > This is boolean, it should be ini_set('display_errors', 1);
> > >

> > >         Isn't 1 an integer and true a boolean? ;)
> > >
> > >         Anyways, what I noticed is that error reporting is enabled
> > >         after an
> > >         include. Maybe the system is failing during the include.
> > > 1 and true can usually be used interchangeably in most programming
> > > languages because true is stored as something bigger than (or
> > > different to) 0 and false as 0. But it's clearer for the programmer to
> > > use true and false because it's clearer as what its semantics are.
> > > Important for computer science: "The difference between syntax and
> > > semantics"...
> >
> > PHP does type juggling... '1' is coerced to true just as well as 1.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Rob.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.interjinn.com
> > Application and Templating Framework for PHP
> >

> Not always the case though, hence the need for the === and !==

No, PHP will happily coerce as needed... the === and !== operators are
for when you want to distinguish the type-- if you want to distinguish
the type, then you probably aren't relying on automatic type conversion.
The comment was that a boolean should be used instead of '1', but then
an integer was provided instead of a boolean. As such, an automatic
conversion still happens with the same outcome. I would imagine though,
that since this function works with the ini type data, it would mirror
what one would expect from the php.ini itself... namely, it probably
handles string values appropriately.

Cheers,
Rob.
--