Re: Managed VPS recommendations

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Larry Garfield <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So that's a couple of votes for individual people.  What company do they work for? :-)  We're not looking for "a guy", we're looking for a firm with a good reputation.

    Parasane is a whole company, not just me.  I'm just the one who
started it back in 2000.... but I wouldn't set you up on a VPS anyway.
 I began to refuse to sell those in the last few months because
they're more of a scam than anything.  "Hey, let's charge the client
the same amount as a fully-dedicated server - if not more - but put
them on a shared box with limited resources."

    Yes, the host makes more money --- a LOT more money --- on the
sale of VPS systems, especially when you stack them up in copious
amounts like people do.  I can charge one customer what I pay for the
whole server, another customer what the license fees are for the
software, and the remaining eighteen are profit.... but the problem is
that *I* know they're getting crap service.

    There are a few decent providers who do VPS stuff though.
Surprisingly (and much to my chagrin) is that GoDaddy is one of them.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
http://www.parasane.net/