Re: Managed VPS recommendations

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:54:21 -0500, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 14:26 +0100, Jochem Maas wrote:
>> Larry Garfield schreef:

>> I believe "that guy" Dan Brown might have something up your alley,
>> although he might fall over on the 'douchebag' requirement ;-)
>
>>From Larry's Post:
>
> "We're looking for a company we can partner with long-term for hosing
> several dozen sites."
>
> Don't do it Dan, he wants to hose several of your sites.

Curses, you found me out!

> On a more related note :) You may have trouble with VPS system, most
> expect you to do your own configuration... that's half the point of a
> VPS, you get root access. Of course, since your specs all sound about
> the same, you could probably whip up a script that does the update
> management for you.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.

Could we?  Yes.  Do we want to?  Absolutely not. :-)  For my company, we are very clear with our clients that we do not do server management.  If something goes wrong with the server or network routing or anything of the sort, don't talk to us.  Talk to the host.  For my personal site, it's for an online RPG club where I don't have the time to be a full time sysadmin myself and frankly there's no one else in the club I'd trust anywhere near a root password on any box, let alone the one that runs our whole club.

So that's a couple of votes for individual people.  What company do they work for? :-)  We're not looking for "a guy", we're looking for a firm with a good reputation.

--Larry Garfield