Re: logic for grabbing what we need from user-input addresses for AVS?

On Oct 18, 2008, at 11:10 PM, Robert Cummings wrote:

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 22:56 -0600, Govinda wrote:

To cut down on fraudulent orders, our cc processor (whatever we call
them), to enable "Address Verification System (AVS)",  ...

 The
docs make this clear that they want: "The numeric portion of the
street address", ...

  And how should the logic of my algorithm be written
if it was just for USA addresses?  ... and more importantly - if I am
writing it to handle addresses from any country?

AVS systems I've used don't ask for the street number. They ask for the
entire address and they do the matching for me and return a code
indicating what portions matched. For one client in particular an AVS
fail allows the order to go through, but it is flagged as peculiar and
requires someone to manually reject or allow the order to be fulfilled.
This was necessary since a lot of AVS failures were encountered for
regular clients.

If I had to make a choice given your system, I think I would just grab
the integer value of the first address line. No concatenation, and no
fussing with a second line...

   $number = (int)$input;

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com

Yes, here also they want the entire billing data for different checks to be run on the card validity (like postal code check, card security code check, etc.), but for just this AVS (address) check in particular, which I am asking about, they explicitly state which part of that billing data they use: "The numeric portion of the street address"

Thanks all for your replies!

-Govinda
--
(I have so much work that I have never bothered about my resume, personal business site, sig file.. nothing. Nor do I have any fun quote generator lined up. But since it is Sunday, and sig files seem to be tolerated well, here's one quote off the top of my head:
"Now we measure power in terms of nourishing ability."