logic for grabbing what we need from user-input addresses for AVS?

Hi all

This is not exactly PHP, but an issue that we have to work out in code (whatever we use) - I am working on a shopping cart site which will have orders from any country.

To cut down on fraudulent orders, our cc processor (whatever we call them), to enable "Address Verification System (AVS)", accepts a var/ value which is "The numeric portion of the street address". It is "Required for AVS". Now to get this from what the user input, I can:

- just read the *numeric* characters off the front of the first (of 2) address text inputs, stopping grabbing them once I reach any non- numeric char., or I could - get *any* numeric chars input in that text area and concatenate them all together (if there is more than one continuous run of them), or - get *any* numeric chars input in *either* of the address text areas and concatenate that all together (if there is more than one continuous run of them), or
- (what are the other possibilities?)

I am asking you guys/gals using AVS: what are they looking for? The docs make this clear that they want: "The numeric portion of the street address", but just because I can't think of addresses that don't match a pattern I am thinking of does not mean they don't exist or are not valid. And how should the logic of my algorithm be written if it was just for USA addresses? ... and more importantly - if I am writing it to handle addresses from any country?

Thanks for any insight/logic based on experience,  ;-)

-Govinda