how to start using a version control system (subversion)?

Apologies for posting a monthly/yearly recurring theme here..
If someone can add links to previous discussions relating to the same, that could help too.

I'd like to use subversion on a home unix server of mine to keep track of my projects. I dont even know what i need for a good intergration of subversion when i run my software on shared hosted unix and develop on windows. I've got windows shellintergration (a virtual drive) for all my remote storage, and atm use aptana studio as my editor.
My home unix server is accessible (http & ftp atm) from the outside world..

My question is how to intergrate a subversion repository so that i can easilly checkout files on my windows development box (pref even from the editor; must support syntax highlighting too), and then update my sourcetree on the shared hosting (or another temp test server).

If possible, i'd like to avoid using subversion commandline instructions and use a web-interface. Ofcourse, i can do some things with subversion cmdline instr and put that in a php file.

I want to avoid as much (typing) overhead as possible for each operation i need to do. And i'd also like to know what visual interface to subversion most easilly manages the repository, creating/deleting branches from the main development line, etc.

Please reply-to-all.

Background: my motivation for using a version control system in the first place;

The software i develop (http://mediabeez.ws) runs on multiple servers, mostly unix. On each of these servers, i use symlinks to point from sites .../www/site-name.com/mediaBeez to a common .../mediaBeez-1.x directory that contains the code.. The code itself uses the http hostname to determine which config-file (containing db and theme settings) to use. Up until now i havent used any version-control besides properly naming code directories and copying them with windows explorer after each significant change.

This has worked fine up until recently.
My software runs on shared hosting and not everything (like video conversions to flash video) can be done there on that shared server. So now my software runs on 2 servers at the same time, calling functions in the same php library file (lib_import.php). I had to keep both files open in my editor, and after each saveable change manually copy them to the other copy of the same file.
That's no problem if its just 1 file, but i had 6 of them.
Needless to say, it takes too much concentration if there are more files involved. Up to 5 files on 2 servers simultaniously is doable, but more than that is a real attention-drain and nuisance.

My main development box runs windows vista.