Re: PHP and SQL Server

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Jason <networkadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 15:05 23/09/2008, you wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> So, I'm left wondering what that leaves. Is there anything currently
>> available that could be considered stable for a production
>> environment, supports parameterized queries and is not slated to be
>> mothballed in the near future?
>
> Have you considered the MS "official" php extension available from
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/technologies/php/default.mspx ?
>
> We've played with it here and it seems quite good. It requires SQL 2005 or
> above, so it may not be good for you. YMMV.
>
> I have to admit we've yet to seriously load-test it, but at least we finally
> have Unicode support from PHP to MSSQL. :)
>
> HTH

I know it's been a while since I started this thread, but I wanted to
say thanks for the suggestion and post an update for the archives. I
downloaded the Sqlsrv library from Microsoft. It required us to
install the SQL Native Client (ODBC driver for SQL 2005), but it
connects just fine to our SQL 2K database. We put it into production
on this site a couple weeks ago when the site was crashing routinely
using both PDO_MSSQL and PDO_ODBC due to a (possibly misconfigured?)
spider that was hitting (I should say hammering) our site.  Since
switching, the site has not crashed once. The Microsoft extension also
implements connection pooling internally which is cool.

Andrew